Africa: Week Three - Continued

Thursday was spent at home again.
I had a very old friend from primary school pop in for a visit and we spent the rest of the day by the pool.
It was an absolute scorcher of a day (probably temperature in the early 30's) and I felt really bad for my Aunty's maid, Chandi, who had been working since early that morning making sure the house was spotless and that all the washing was done.
We used to have a maid that came round every 2 weeks or so to help Mam and Pops clean the house when we lived back home, but in New Zealand having a maid is virtually unheard of.
It was very strange getting used to someone cleaning up after you - I'd put my glass down next to me and I'd look away and look back and it'd be gone. She roamed silently, working away without complaint.
When lunchtime rolled around we decided we'd order some pizza. When the Pizza arrived we called Chandi to join us. I've honestly never met such a humble person before who was so honored just to be included in our lunch plans. She was even going to go sit outside to eat and was shocked when we told her should could just sit with us at the kitchen counter.

South African's are all entrepreneurs - in summer you can always find a guy (or girl) riding around on a bicycle with a chilly bin fixed to the front, selling ice creams or Popsicles. 
I flagged one down who came right up to the front gate. I bought Tez and I a Rolo ice cream and asked Chandi if she wanted anything. She was so quick to say no, but I could tell she was really getting hot so I bought her some strawberry flavoured ice cream and she beamed when I handed it to her. South Africa - for all it's crime and danger has some of the sweetest people.

On Friday Mam, Tez and I joined cousin Lauren and her friend Kouthar at Ratanga Junction - the theme park in Cape Town.
The weather, as always, was beautiful so we tried to go on as many water rides as possible. The Monkey Falls and Crocodile Gorge were a must! And we all tried getting under the waterfalls on the Crocodile Gorge until we were literally dripping. That didn't last long though, 15 minutes walk around the theme park and we were bone dry again. Running around Ratanga Junction was so much fun but I was happy to get home to a Braai and some chill Family time. Saturday was going to be full on - it was our last Saturday in Cape Town and Aunty C was throwing us a party.

Throughout Saturday we had family and friends alike trickling in and out either coming to say goodbye as they couldn't make it that night or popping around early to start the party. At around about 5ish the real party began as the fire was started for the braai - the drinks started flowing and the music stared pumping.
At around about 7pm all my old friends from primary school started showing up.
It's so bizarre to think that I left at age 12 and then 10 years later I still had all these people who remembered me and wanted to hang out and catch up. The party lasted well into the wee hours of the morning and by 3am I think we were all snuggled up in bed. 


The next few days felt like they went by in a blur. Wednesday was our last day there so we spend the last couple of days with family and our grandma's. Fighting back the inevitable tears.

At the airport we checked in our bags then went to sit up at Spur for some last minute food. A couple more friends joined us to say goodbye - Aunty Lucille bringing her own bottle of wine (classic) and before to long we were walking through the departure gates with tears in our eyes. Waving goodbye to the family we wouldn't be seeing for a very long while. 

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard..." - Winnie the Pooh

Comments

Popular Posts