Africa: the Departure - continued

Dubai Airport has become one of my least favourite. The sheer size of it is both brilliant and daunting. And clearly they had not built it with people with health problems in mind. Namely asthma, and namely me, having it. There weren't even any of those travelators around which they usually have in airports. So after finally finding our Gate and taking 3 much needed puffs from my inhaler we were hot, irritated and frazzled, but sitting down. We only had about 45 minutes left to wait, and we were certain they weren't going to change the gates again.

What seemed to annoy me the most though is that as time ticked on and it got closer and closer to our boarding time more people started strolling in through the gate. None of them even at a brisk jog. And most of them were these African Queens with massive behinds, strolling along at their own pace as if to say "the plane will wait for me". I sat there making snide remarks to Tez and Mother, mouth agape wondering where they had been and just how long it had taken them to get to the terminal since I was still slightly out of breath and perspiring from every pore.

Everyone seemed to be joining in on our frustration as the minutes ticked on. We had just finished a 12 hour flight and we were anxious for our next 11 hour flight to get over and done with. We all just wanted to get home. 


After what felt like forever we were finally called to board our flight. We got settled in our seats - me at the window this time - and we were off. 

Currently, as much as I never want to fly Emirates Airways ever again, there is something to be said for their amazing cabin crew. They were dressed immaculately and the type of friendly I could see myself hanging out with. There was one flight attendant, I wish I could remember what his name was, who was beyond entertaining, constantly dancing and singing is way down the isles. Upon landing it Cape Town he did this cute little dance to Frank Sinatra's "It's Nice to Go Trav'ling". The prospect of having him on a flight again is enough to make me rethink flying with Emirates - which is saying something. 

One of my favourite things about flying is flying in the day and being able to look out the window and see the world far below you. Taking off and seeing the world getting infinitely smaller below you makes you realise how insignificant all your problems and worries are in the grand scheme of things. I remember thinking as we circled Dubai that there are so many great minds out there that could be used for so much good in the world; here was a city - a genuine oasis - that looks like it just grew out of the desert sand itself and as much as it's airport was not to my liking it was beautiful to be able to see Dubai from the air. The amazing man-made islands in interesting patterns and that one building that towers over every other thing in the entire city. Brushes of brilliant blue water giving a reprise to the constant terracotta brown of the landscape.
I said goodbye to Dubai as we made our way accross Oman and the Arabian Sea and down towards Africa; I set my sights on home.   

Comments

Popular Posts