Ramsey, NJ - The Interlude

I had no expectations going into Ramsey, New Jersey.
Okay no, I lie.
I was thinking New Jersey, so by association New York therefore I was thinking suburban town on the outskirts of high rises and general 'citiness'.
I was not expecting the classic small town, white picket fence American Dream (without the actual picket fences).

Ramsey, New Jersey is a 1 hour and 12 minute drive from New York City.
It's full of the classic american dream homes nestled in cute cul-de-sacs, no fences dividing you from your neighbour or  the road, no fences dividing you from the expanse of forrests between your back yard and your neighbours' 20m away.
Unless you're in the town centre there are no side walks. Unless you are in the town centre, there are no street lights.
It's the kind of place where you'd wake up to find a herd of deer or a troop of raccoons in your back yard. It was the kind of place I was happy to be waking up in.

I had barely put my bags in my room and wolfed down some pulled pork and pasta for dinner before I was whisked out the door again - piled into the car with Howie and Simon - as we made our way to Ramsey Highschool; Bailey was in the school choir, and they were putting on a show.
I honestly felt like I was in a movie. The building itself is a massive 3 story, red brick structure, equipped with it's own bell tower. It sits atop a expansive grassy hill overlooking the town.
As we entered all the choir Moms and Dads said their hellos and offered up pleasantries before finding their desired seats and settling in for the nights entertainment. I loved every second of it.
The students were absolutely incredible (they'd won many competitions already) and the solo's were on point.
After, all the kids came out to say their hellos - it was the first time I'd seen Bailey since the year before at Christmas. I'd known her since she was a baby and now all of a sudden here was this sassy 15 year old running up to me and introducing me to all her friends. When we got home we all chilled out on the couch for a bit before one by one everyone made their way slowly to bed.

Day 1 in Jersey was spent doing absolutely nothing. I woke up to a surprisingly quiet household considering there were 10 of us. Connor and Maia had headed to Toronto the day before I arrived so I had yet to see them, Bailey had already left for school, Howie was at work and the rest of the house hadn't woken up yet. I made my way downstairs to grab a coffee. I watched the morning news with Ali before she left for work and then settled myself in the crook of the couch - and that's where I spent the entire day. Simon and I, flicking through Netflix movies while Estelle played with her Lego or her puzzles. It was just the kind of relaxing day I needed before the exploring began.

Photo credit to Toni Emma.

Comments

Popular Posts