Broken City

If it wasn't for the neon 'Open' sign that hung in the blacked out window front and the 4 patrons standing outside having a smoke I would have walked straight past the entrance, the brown block lettering of the bar name blending into the brick background as it perched atop the lip above the closed, nondescript black door. 
Inside the vibe is mellow. Music from an Indie rock band pumps through the speakers, just loud enough to be heard over the din of customers mulling around in groups, waiting for the band to set up and do their sound check. It's 'Rockin' for Dollars' night, so far the best open mic night I have ever been to. We head upstairs to the patio and the words "BAD WOLF" are the first thing I see painted on the walls to my left. My Whovian interests are piqued before my terrible eye sight starts adjusting and I take in more Dr Who paraphinalia painted on all the walls. I wander over to the bar taking it all in and whirl around to tell Dallin how cool this place is when my vision lands on the blue police telephone box in the corner. My words catch in my throat and instead what comes out it "Oh my God. It's the fucking TARDIS!" This is officially one of the coolest places in Calgary. 
It's 9.15pm and the bands are only meant to start within the hour so Dallin orders a beer and I - after doing my usual and asking the bar tender to recommend a drink - settle on a 'hard' iced tea called Hey Y'all. Super reminicent of my MCR days, drinking vodka and peach iced tea while watching Life On the Murder Scene on repeat in Tilly's dark bedroom while we inhale overcooked oven fries and skittles. We find a picnic table overlooking the street and settle in with our drinks to wait for the bands to start, it's still stifflingly hot - 29 degrees, there's bushfires in BC and the smoke blowing over to Alberta is making everything stuffy. 
Dallin and I chat about Dr Who, me enquiring whether he'd be up for watching it all again from the 9th Doctor. He replying probably way to fast that he most definitely would be "I didn't know anyone 'cool' in high school who actually watched Dr Who so.."
"Well now you have me, I'm pretty cool"
We chatter away aimlessly about friends and growing up till we hear the sounds of the guitar float through the open doors and make our way downstairs.
We find a place to stand at the back of the crowd, slightly elevated so I can see over everyones' heads - Dallin is 6'3 so he has no issues. 
I absolutely adore little unknown local gigs. The energy in the room has me constantly smiling from ear to ear and the talent is outstanding. 
I'm forever transported back to 2005, the gang being dropped off at yet another MumsDollar concert at Auckland Memorial Hall to pay the $10 to watch the same 10 songs we'd heard them play every other weekend. Dancing to our hearts content in the mosh pit, making up ridiculous dance moves to the lyrics and singing till out voices were almost nonexistant. 
Tonight though I just stand back and smile wistfully as the younger patrons bounce around the room. 
I don't know how being in Canada makes things feel different but every experience I've had so far or everything I've done makes me feel like I'm in an American movie. One band in particular tonight are these two guys (one on drums and one playing the guitar) and for some reason I instantly feel like I'm in a coming of age movie where the lead character is a shy teen coming into his own and I'm in the happy finale moment at the end where he's surrounded by all his friends and doing what he loves and he realises that life isn't so bad after all, it's just a part of growing up. 
After every band the host makes everyone in the room form into a Hockey line up so the bands can highfive everyone on their way off the stage. It's absolutely enduring and honestly makes everyone feel like they've been friends for years. 
As the night comes to a close the crowds dwindle, not for the lack of talent of the remaining bands. The last band's front woman is so fascinating. Her sultry, lazy voice has every patron mezmerized, her stare intense, her emotions raw. She's able to make you feel how she feels; pissed off, hurt, betrayed, fragile - like the universe owes her something. 
With the last hockey line up underway Dallin and I head back out into the city streets and head for home, I'm definitely coming back to this place; Broken City. 

Comments

Popular Posts